3-year full-time; 4.5-6-year part-time
We regularly host online webinars to give you the chance to find out more about our courses and what studying at Brunel is like. For a playback of our recent Theatre webinar, click here.
About the course
English at Brunel ranked 11th in the Guardian League Tables 2016
Brunel University London has an established and successful tradition of offering joint programmes of study. The BA Theatre and English degree provides a rich and exciting combination where you will draw upon the expertise and experience of both the Theatre and the English teaching teams.
In order to see the full range of possibilities for this Joint Honours degree, please check out the information provided on this page as well as the English BA and Theatre BA programme pages.
As a student on the BA Theatre and English at Brunel University London, you will become part of a dynamic and creative community of students, artists and academics.
Our programme has been designed for students who aspire to work in today’s diverse theatre industry.
The BA Theatre and English is highly practice focused and you will develop core skills in theatre making and performance while at the same time studying historical, theoretical and critical perspectives.
Our teaching team of practitioners and artists are specialists in the fields of theatre, performance and live art, and you will be taught in our purpose built Antonin Artaud Performance Centre, which houses a fully equipped main house and studio theatre, as well as a large suite of rehearsal and recording studios.
You will become part of Brunel’s vibrant and creative Department of Arts and Humanities, as well as our friendly and welcoming campus community, which is an exciting and stimulating place to live and work in.
BA Theatre and English takes full advantage of our proximity to London’s international creative culture and theatre events.
To prepare you for a future in the theatre and creative industries including writing, education, further study and research and many other career paths, the Joint Honours BA Theatre and English at Brunel will provide you with opportunities to develop:
- Acting, Directing, Applied Drama, Physical Theatre, Digital Performance, Musical Theatre and Playwriting.
- The ability to read texts in increasingly complex and diverse ways and to explore literature by looking at its structures and forms, as well as the varying contexts in which it is produced and read.
- Skills in critical thinking, as well as knowledge and understanding of the concepts and models used in the practice and study of theatre; theoretical debates arising from theatre as a live event; and current issues around the creative importance of theatre production.
- Specialisms in a wide range of literature according to your own particular tastes and interests, be they in contemporary poetry, drama, fiction, literatures of the past or literatures form cultures remote from your own.
- Opportunities for career-focused work experience.
- Skills for life and work including leadership, independent thinking, working with a team, research and presentation skills.
- Creative thinking and solutions focused on the realities of the fast growing UK Creative Economy.