3-year full-time; 4.5-6-year part-time
We regularly host online webinars to give you the chance to find out more about our courses and what studying at Brunel is like.
For a playback of our recent English webinar, click here. For the Film and TV webinar, click here.
About the course
English at Brunel ranked 11th in the UK by the 2016 Guardian League tables
This flexible degree enables students to carry out critical analysis of some of society’s most powerful media: literature, film and television.
- You will explore the ways in which film and television relate to history, culture and identity, in addition to studying major areas of English literature.
- You will develop an informed understanding of current debates in both these fields and are encouraged to explore your own ideas and interests.
This degree provides you with a varied, challenging, and enjoyable programme. You will engage in in-depth study of the major areas of English literature from the Renaissance to the most recent publications in poetry, fiction and drama, whilst developing an informed understanding of current debates in the subject. You will explore literature by looking at its structures and forms as well as the varying contexts in which it is produced and read.
Film and Television Studies
From Hong Kong cinema to Hollywood and from Science Fiction to Documentary, Film and TV Studies at Brunel examines a wide range of recent and contemporary productions for both the big and small screen. The course offers many innovative, exciting and distinctive modules, taught by a team of enthusiastic staff.
Individual modules focus on both mainstream and alternative practices, the latter including American Independent Cinema and Alternative Film and Video Practices. Popular genres such as Horror and Comedy are studied alongside, and informed by, more theoretically oriented material.
Limited opportunities will be available for practical work, significantly less so than is the case for Single Honour students.
View student profiles
- The degree is designed to develop your ability to read texts in increasingly complex and diverse ways.
- While we include modules from the Renaissance to the present day, our BA is so much more that a historical study of English Literature. Right from the start you’ll be introduced to a whole range of critical perspectives, approaches and contexts which will give you the tools to interrogate your reading. Ours is an exciting, dynamic, wide-ranging course with plenty of flexibility allowing you to follow your own individual tastes and literary passions.
Film and Television Studies
- You will study film and television texts from a range of disciplinary and interdisciplinary perspectives.
- You will develop the critical and technological vocabularies and theoretical frameworks with which to conduct close textual and contextual analysis.